When the PFF asked me to do a culinary blog on my test match
to the West Indies, I deliberated before agreeing to deliver it an
international flavour. It was a mystery of what I would be served? However, it
was the best food I have ever tasted at a sporting event.
There is competing food outlets at the venue, with many
serving goat curry, patties, jerk chicken and pork, fried chicken and other
Caribbean delights. It was superb and is what happens when you have many small
businesses with chefs cooking the food.
The patty was breakfast for Day 1, as I arrived at this
magnificent home of cricket in Jamaica. It was slightly spicier than a normal
pie, but was a familiar taste of home. As a former British colony the
influences were clear. I then snuck into the Kingston Cricket Club at lunch
time and tried the Goat Curry, amongst an historic clubroom with data of many
players 100’s and double centuries at grounds around the world. For club food,
it was good, but spicy and the food in the rest of the stands were much better.
With beer and water being delivered to seats, it was heaven and an experience
you just don’t get at test matches in Australia. I mean, a breeze all day,
shade that I didn't get at the WACA and now they are serving beers to our
seats. Fair to say, that I was in seventh heaven.
Day 2-4 I tried Jerk Pork, Chicken, Fried Chicken, often
served with rice, banana chips and more patties.
The food was $5-6 and was incredibly filling for that lunch
time break. I noticed that on Day 1, the Hot Dog stand was right outside of the
Fanatics tour groups area and it sold out before the end of the day, they
didn't make this mistake on future days.
As I prepare myself for the Aussie Cricket summer, I find
that the whole days experience, $20 tickets, cheap food, a strong breeze that
lasts all day will not be replicated when I get back to the WACA for the test
series. Not only was there great food, Sabina Park is a truly special venue. It
is one of the world’s great cricket venues with a presence and feel that is not
replicated in my home cities test venue. However walking to a test from home
will be a special experience.
Perhaps the one sad element was the potential that future
tests will be no more in the Caribbean. Young kids want to play Twenty/20,
Walsh’s bar has been overtaken by Gayle's and the world game is far more popular
with the youth of Jamaica. 1000 Australian’s took advantage of the romanticism
that is a journey for cricket to the grounds of Sobers, Richards and Lara. How
many more years will young Australian’s like myself get to experience the magic
of test cricket in the Caribbean?
Views and opinions expressed in this article represent the guest writer and not of the Punctual Football Fan.






No comments:
Post a Comment