Saturday, 24 February 2024

Perth Finding No Glory Against Wellington

Perth played host to the high flying top of the A-League table Wellington Phoenix who were looking to extend their lead from second placed Melbourne Victory who were prior to this match only 6 points away. A win here for the New Zealand visitors would see them push that lead out to a rather difficult 9 point barrier for the other teams to try and bridge such a gap. While Perth were running into this match with some very good form and wishing to continue with a win here putting them in with a shout at play-off glory; pun very much intended there. The stage was set for a team in decent form and a team that have been doing everything right so far and maintaining their position at the top of the A-League table.


The game was a series of tussles and tooing and frowing, with Wellington at times taking control of the match and looking like they would break open the match and open the scoring and looked just as threatening to score more than one to open their account. Perth's defences were all hands on deck and would at times be forced to scramble to ensure that they would keep out the pressing Wellington attacks. But it would also be the visitors from New Zealand that would also encounter pressure being built from the men in purple.


Perth would in turn start pressing the visitor's defensive lines and were at times looking like they were on target to cracking the code and opening the account and the lead. However, Perth were constantly huffing and puffing but the Phoenix's defence was still staying strong. It was so frustrating to watch as Perth should have taken the lead and really punished them like how Perth were like against Melbourne City and Adelaide United in earlier games. But the match did not produce any goals and therefore, no winner and ending the game with a hard fought 0-0 draw. With Perth taking a point and still maintaining their undefeated run. Though I feel tha this was a game where Perth threw away 2 points and Wellington were lucky to walk away with a point. A shame as a full three points would have further bolstered Perth's chances to get into play-off contention.


While I state like I have in previous posts about food and beverage purchases at Perth Glory games that they should be avoided as best as you can, I did make a few purchases. I did buy some hot chips and I did buy some alcohol, rum and cola to be exact. While I was fancying somewhat of a strong drink after another long day out at cricket, it was nice but as I have said why in the past wasn't quite truly hitting the spot. Captain Morgan Rum and Cola was 13.50 and yes that is rather expensive, it was only the 3.5% level so the mid strength. For that price it is ridiculous. I know that the aim is to curtail drinking and therefore, drunkeness. But how often do you see the amount of men and women who are consuming alcohol and the price, nor the level of alcohol is a prohibitor for their drinking? I am sure that people will think otehrwise to what I am stating, that is fine as we are all unique and holding our own opinions. I just think that these steps which have been in place for so long now have not really made that change that they were touted to herald.


I had hot chips for 8.50 and they were salted, though more of it would have been a little nicer. I think that the amount you get is ok, but they are also a little on the high priced side of things when it comes down to the ratio of food to price. I was sitting on these chips for a bit while the game was unfolding and while someone else would have eaten these much faster and stayed much warmer, so eventually having the chips go a bit cold on me was something that I was disappointed over, albeit being my fault.


While it was an entertaining game with Perth squandering their chances in taking the lead and therefore, having the 3 points, I do not understand how anyone would pay more than what I had while I watched the game. Like I have stated before, I think that people shoudl be buying food and drinks at local businesses close to the ground or along the way where they offer better food and drink with prices not at extortionate levels. Yes I will still at times be hypocritical and buy food and drink at times there, I highly suggest to other not to and go elsewhere before the game, or even when the game finishes. Was a good night out besides these gripes and I am looking forward in going to the next home game; hopefully they win and bring home the 3 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment