Sunday, 23 December 2018

Seahawks Fend Off the Chiefs

On a very sharp, cold and breezy Seattle winter's night was host of the National Football League's fixture between the Seattle Seahawks and the Kansas City Chiefs at CenturyLink Field. This stadium is an incredible stadium for its sheer size. The stadium is for 70,000 spectators and 69,500 odd turned up to scream at the top of their lungs and make one heck of a noise to maintain the reputation of Seattle being one of the noisiest stadiums in the league. So noisy in fact are the fans at CenturyLink, is that they trigger the second highest amount of false starts in the league, second behind Minnesota. However, for a casual fan like myself, it was intense the noise and rather painful. Then again I had 6 fans in my seats scream at their fullest capacities in the back of my head to induce said migraine.



Tickets to these games do not come cheap, and unfortunately the cheapest I could afford were towards the very back. While not a bad view, the bitter cold blowing into the semi-open stadium did make it rather chilly. I do recommend to take your gloves for a game and a warm jacket, in which I did. But apart from the noisy fans behind me, the atmosphere is what I was expecting in an NFL game. These fans wear their emotions on their sleeves and are not afraid to show it. They do not take too kindly humour of the wry, witty or even dry varieties. So I suggest that you don't engage like that. 



The game however was a very even contest with Seattle coming out of the blocks early and hard. But failing to capitalise on the dominance. This is where Kansas City Chiefs had began to turn it around and cause trouble for the Seattle defensive team. Yes, that is right, there are effectively two teams within the team. One is an offensive team, then when they are on the defensive, well, you got it there is a team for that as they switch. So It is rather difficult to follow if you are not a fan of the game like I am. When I start to get into understanding the basics of the game however, it stops and then there is a considerable pause in the play. So it is hard to understand why they stopped and what was it for.


Kansas during the second quarter edged in front over the hosts and the crowd were wavering in their loud support for the Seahawks. But with mistakes from the Chiefs, Seattle had turned it around and with some touchdowns and conversions had hit the lead and secured the match as 38 to 31 point winners.


Beers were the usual fare at the game, I had a bottle of Budweiser for 12 dollars and chips and M&Ms for 12 dollars in total. There were plenty of other foods, but I wasn't going to fight through the crowds to fight for the food and fight all the way back up to the back of the stands with the food.
Despite the cold, and the bitterness of the winter's night in Seattle, it was a wonder evening to watch my first American football game. If you are in the states and you want to tick it off your list, I recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment