Clash of the 'heavyweights' in the 2014 National Premier Leagues Western Australia Conference took place on a rather sad news with young star Dylan Tombides passing away from cancer earlier that morning Perth time. A minute of applause to remember Dylan was a rather fitting tribute to a young man with so much potential to only to leave us in his prime.
I must say a minute of applause is a great way to celebrate someone's life with us than to be silent and be glum. I am sure our loved ones would never want us to be sad like that but to think of the great times spent with them and keep their memory alive.
After the fitting tribute was completed the game was underway. Stirling were in some great positions during the match. Pushing deep and getting into space in the attacking penalty space. However the missed chances proved to be the difference as Bayswater capitalised and had the game in their hands. A rather dubious penalty was awarded during the match to open the scoring for Bayswater with Stirling pegging it back to 1-1 but Bayswater have been so dominant so far this season and finished the game 4-1.
Stirling always put on a good show when it comes to food. One of my favourites in what I call "the big five" for food and drink as well as football on offer. The usual offerings of olives and feta at the bar makes a nice touch as always and to keep your appetite up and thirsty for a beverage of course!
While the tease of some more traditional eats were in store for me at half time I was rather famished so i bought a ham and cheese sandwich at the canteen. I have avoided this on their menu for years. For obvious reasons. You don't go to Macedonia park for a ham and cheese sandwich! You have to have their Stirling burger with the works or chips instead! Although I was pleasantly surprised when I unwrapped the paper to reveal the sandwich in question.
Nice, crispy and golden toasted bread which was buttered on both sides with lots of cheese, ham and tomato bringing back the memories of my grandmother's way of making these humble 'Aussie treats' for us as children. Not sure why the ham wasn't cut properly but no matter i ate it all in one go so cutting it in half was pointless. for 4 dollars I say that is spot on all round.
One thing I would like to see come back to NPL grounds are their old roots, especially in their cuisine. I was treated to Zelnik, burek, chevapi, spicy sausages and pecivo. Although a special occasion I would love to purchase these delights in the future. Would be great for ALL NPL sides to get back to their roots and really make their corner or the Perth 'universe' unique again.
Once again Stirling never fails to let me down and look forward in another return to Macedonia Park.


No comments:
Post a Comment